Are your sales and marketing teams aligned? If so, congratulations are due: according to a report from Forrester Research, only 8% of business-to-business companies have actually achieved effective sales and marketing alignment. But the good news, if you’re in the other 92%, is that BI data can help.
Now, that may come as a surprise. For while your sales and marketing teams are notionally both engaged on the same task—growing the business’s sales—they are inevitably coming at the task from very different directions, and with very different agendas. How on earth can BI data help?
Well, the honest answer is that if those sales and marketing teams continue to have different agendas, then it can’t.
But if they are prepared to acknowledge their common purpose, then BI data reporting tools provide the glue to deliver and maintain the consistent focus that united sales and marketing teams require.
Put another way, BI data reporting tools re-shape those sales and marketing agendas, by raising issues, and asking questions. And through tackling those issues together, and answering questions from a joint perspective, then a consistent and united approach is delivered.
In short, where once disagreement and discord reigned, BI data reporting services provide a common focus on a common objective: delivering increased sales.
Let’s look at how.
BI data: delivering metrics that matter.
The first step is to put in place a set of metrics that straddle the entire selling process, from lead generation through to placed orders. Then, measure the sales and marketing teams jointly on these metrics, with BI data reporting services calculating and delivering the metrics.
There will be protests, to be sure. “We don’t sell things,” the marketing team will say. “We don’t generate leads,” the sales team will add.
And they’re right—but that separate view of the overall process is what has got the business into its present situation, with non-aligned teams pursuing separate agendas.
By holding them jointly to account on a common set of metrics—metrics that extend right along the sales cycle, and constructed with BI data reporting tools—alignment results from sharing a common purpose.
That’s because synergies and cooperation take the place of each team working to optimise its own piece of the overall picture.
BI data and your automated data warehouse.
But where exactly are those metrics to come from? The chances are that your present reporting processes won’t be of much help, as they’ve been designed around the old, disunited, way of doing things.
What’s more, even from a data collection point of view, there will be challenges. Quite simply, many of the metrics that you’ll want to construct will come from separate systems—ERP, CRM, various specialist Cloud-based marketing services, spreadsheets, and statistics on website hits and contact captures.
In short, you’ll need to construct a data warehouse to hold the data, so that BI reporting processes can run against it.
And to a modern, Cloud-based BI data service, those disparate data sources won’t be a problem. Cloud-based tools, managed by your BI data reporting provider, will routinely run ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) services, capturing the data you need, applying any formatting transformations that are required, and then populating you data warehouse with it.
From which BI data reporting tools can deliver the metrics you want.
BI data can be eight weeks away.
How long does it take? How much will it cost? The answers, in each case, might surprise you.
First, Cloud-based BI data reporting services are easily and quickly installed. Typically, here at Matillion we reckon that eight to ten weeks is sufficient, from start to finish.
Why so quick? Because, quite simply, the use of the Cloud means that there is no software to purchase and implement, no servers or other hardware to purchase and install, and no internal resource constraints to overcome—Matillion experts do the job, remotely.
And the cost? Apart from a small upfront implementation fee, Cloud-based BI data reporting is paid for as a service, via a pay-as-you-go monthly subscription.
Meaning that the benefits that come from your newly-aligned sales and marketing teams are paid for by the increased sales and operating efficiencies that result.
BI data: why delay?
In short, a united sales and marketing team, working to a common purpose, need no longer be a dream.
It’s a deliverable reality—so why delay?
Unite your Sales and Marketing teams today! Download our free guide to Business Intelligence solutions below