Using conditional formatting in your self service reporting is easy in Matillion BI.
It’s great for drawing attention to particular numbers or categorizing information graphically.
Examples of conditional formatting in your self service reporting include:
- Showing negative numbers in red
- Highlighting over or under performance
- Categorising information with colour or format (e.g. high priority transactions in orange, overdue payments shown in bold and with a bright colour)
To add conditional formatting in self service reporting is easy. Follow these simple steps:
- Select and open your report from the Matillion BI repository. You can do this by using the ‘View Reports’ button on the home page. Note: conditional formatting only works on Table reports. Not on cross-tabs and not in ad-hoc views.
- Click on the column top you wish to use conditional formatting on for self service reporting
- Select ‘Conditional Formatting’ then choose the rules and colours you would like to apply. You can customise the font, decoration (e.g. bold/italic), font colour and background colour based on rules you setup.
- Tips: Bold and font colour ‘red’ works well for low or negative numbers. In general, background colours are better for drawing attention. Paler background colours look nicer. If using percentages or currencies, you must use the symbol e.g. ‘Greater than 50%’ or ‘Greater Than £50, rather than ‘Greater Than 50’
Here are some examples of how conditional formatting is applied to self-service reporting:
Find out more about self service reporting by registering for our webinar below.